Perhaps the biggest key to success in betting college football is to ride the hot hands. These teams have exceeded expectations through two weeks, and there still could be some value before Vegas catches on and adjusts the spreads. Total points by which they have exceeded their respective spreads is listed.
- Stanford (+33.5) I always feel best when a top-1o team in the polls kicks off the rankings. Sorry Chip Kelly, but Andrew Luck and the boys looks like the cream of the crop in a questionable conference.
- Temple (+51) The Owls have simply destroyed two overmatched opponents
- South Florida (+23.5) The Bulls proved that they’re no longer Jim Leavitt’s South Florida. A 21 point spread after a win like the ND one would have been a major letdown alert a few years back, but this time they led the game by 30 at halftime.
- Central Florida (+40.5) I’ve got to give the Knights some props after a 30-3 beatdown of Boston College validated my lock of the week.
- Washington State (+52) That’s right. One of CC’s prime whipping boys, Paul Wulff, is doing some whipping of his own.
- Utah State (+54) I told you I felt good about the Aggies betting odds heading into this season, and so far Gary Anderson is proving me right.
- Florida Int’l (+21) When you’re a Sun Belt team, winning a Friday night road game at Louisville is no joke. Troy had better watch it’s back this season.
- Georgia Tech (+24) This is about as surprising as any to me, but after watching them week 1, the Jackets are better than expected. A big reason is QB Tevin Washington, who unlike his predecessor can throw the ball down field.
- Navy (+36) Two dominant wins and the Midshipmen look like a lock against bottom-tier competition
- Michigan (+18) Brady Hoke is picking up at Michigan right where he left off at San Diego State
Dropped out: LSU, Oklahoma, Texas A&M